#PBCritiqueFest Changed My Life

I got serious about writing picture books during the summer of 2019. After a few years of struggling to write novels, I was excited to find a genre that felt within my grasp. But it wasn't that easy. I applied for the #PBChat mentorship but wasn't selected. I entered #FallWritingFrenzy and #Halloweensie but didn't win. I sent out queries but received rejections. I was down about my writing. Maybe this kidlit thing wasn't for me. 

I heard about #PBCritiqueFest, a contest hosted by Briah Gehrlein on his blog pbspotlight.com. Finally, a random drawing. Something that I could actually win without having to prove I was good enough. Finally, a contest that could benefit writers who were still early in their writing journey. I went all out with the extra entries. I was determined. And I won!

I was matched with Rebecca Gomez for my critique. When I got my story back, there was "red ink" all over it. I have to admit, I was pretty crushed. I cried. I put the story in the "drawer". A friend that had previously read and loved the story asked whether I was going to try to revise it. I reluctantly got it back out and went through the feedback. Each piece of the critique made surprisingly good points about the story. Even better, the advice was instructive in a way that I felt the information could apply to other stories. With each new manuscript I wrote after that, I had Rebecca's voice in the back of my mind, pushing me to be better.

Fast forward six months or so. It was time to apply for the #PBChat mentorship again. I didn't want to get my hopes up, but I knew I had to try. Rebecca Gomez's name was on the list, but I remembered the tears I shed. No way was I going throught that again. I picked out different mentors to apply to. Then I started thinking about how much I learned from Rebecca's critique. That's when I realized how much my writing had grown all because of her critique. I knew I HAD to apply to her. I did a last-minute switch and put her name on my application. Unbelievably, she picked me as one of her mentees!

We're now approaching the end of the mentorship. It has been the most wonderful experience. A manuscript that I thought was strong, has been transformed into something amazing. Soon I will begin querying again. Whether I will become a success story is yet to be seen. Cross your fingers for me. 

And now #PBCritiqueFest is open again. We've come full circle. I hope everyone reading this goes and enters. Rebecca's name is on the list again along with so many other amazingly talented writers, illustrators, and agents. I can't promise the same life-changing experience it has brought me, but it's worth a shot. What have you got to lose?

Comments

  1. I love this. Your strength, your perseverance, and your belief in your self. I'm so happy to have this this part of your journey and wish you all the luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing your story, Lara! We get closer to our yes every time we try and we only fail if we quit!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your story and for being so open about the challenging emotions you faced. So happy that it become such a positive learning experience for you! Very inspiring story to keep the rest of us going and hopeful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for sharing your inspiring story. A great reminder to keep persevering! Best of luck to you.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a great story! I received a similar critique this summer and was devastated. But like you, the comments really resonated later. Looking forward to seeing how your career grows! Good luck with all your future queries!!!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Contact Form

Name

Email *

Message *

Popular posts from this blog

Spring Fling Contest Entry: Maple Waits

Fall Frenzy Contest Entry: Ever Green